Sailing and navigation
Approaches to Thyboron Port
Safe sailing in all weather conditions
The Port of Thyboron has a unique, well-protected location inside the Liim Fiord on the Danish North Sea coast. The harbour entrance faces east, which means it can be entered in any weather conditions. Even in harsh weather, the ships ‘land’ softly in the wide opening to the Liim Fiord, and find calmer water through the harbour heads. These unique sailing conditions on the Danish North Sea coast help ensure safe and stable operation for vessels and port activities and a smooth workflow.
- The port has 5.8 km of quays alongside the Liim Fiord
- The entrance to Thyboron Canal is 1000 metres wide. The entrance to the outer harbour is 76 metres wide
- The entrance to the Port of Thyboron has been dredged to 10 m water depth
- The harbour entrance faces east
- The water depth at the quays is up to 10 m. The latest quays can support 10 metres of water depth
- Up to 200 metre turning areas - and 400 metre in front of the entrance to the outer harbour
- The tide is just half a metre and turns every six hours
- The current in the Liim Fiord is typically 1-2 knots in normal weather conditions
- The sailing speed limit inside the port is 3 knots
Facts about approaching the Port of Thyboron
The entrance to Thyboron Canal from the North Sea is 1000 metres wide.
The water depth in the entrance has been dredged to 10 metres.
The entrance between the heads at the Port of Thyboron is 76 metres wide.
Current weather information
Water level in harbour
Current wind speed
Current wind direction
Water level at sea
Average wind speed
Average wind direction
Last updated 9/25/2022 at 5:31 PM
Navigation through the Liim Fiord
For some vessels, the Liim Fiord can serve as a shortcut in Denmark. There is a guaranteed water depth of 4 metres, so CTVs, barges and cargo vessels with low draught can sail from Aalborg to the Port of Thyboron through the Liim Fiord.
It is 75 nautical miles from Thyboron to Aalborg, and 170 nautical miles if you sail around Skagen.
Pilotage is required for passage through the Liim Fiord.
Facts about navigation in the Liim Fiord:
- Water depth 4 metres
- Distance from Aalborg to Thyboron is 75 nautical miles
- Maximum width of a barge in the Liim Fiord with special assessment from a pilot is 28 metres
- Maximum width of a barge without special assessment from a pilot is 15 metres
- Fairway width east of the Limfjordskaj II quay 180 m at the narrowest point.